Reading Revolution
I think this site is a great example of how to use social networking in the classroom. I like how students from different areas of the country can communicate and discuss with each other. Students love social networking, so I’m sure they would be really motivated to participate in an activity like this. In this particular activity, 5th grade students from an inner city and suburban environment discuss books and share their writing with each other. For example, both groups of students read the book Marley and Me. They shared their thoughts on the book as well as their personal connections with each other. I like this activity because it’s more interactive than using a regular website or email. Students can create profiles and can develop their own unique personalities. Students could access this site from home and be able to write responses on their own time. The only thing that concerns me is that this network is open to the public and anyone can access it and read the students responses. I think you can create private networks through Ning so that the students’ privacy is protected. If I were to use a social network in the classroom like Ning I would make it private so that only the students could access it.
No comments:
Post a Comment