Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Develop a Blog Activity

I chose to create a blog to help with my students' writing. This blog is designed for fourth grade students. This blog will be used for students to post their writing project for others in the class to read and give positive feedback to. Students will be given instructions on how to post their work and guidelines to follow when they choose to comment on one another's written work. The students will be encouraged to post written work frequently, but it will be suggested that they limit their posting to once a week so that other students have an opportunity to have their work read by others. I'm hoping that this format will let students confer with more classmates than they would be able to face to face. The more feedback they receive, the better their final piece will be. 

I attached the materials needed for this project on the blog. The students will be beginning with a narrative piece. I have attached the rubric to show how it will be graded, as well as a handout to give suggestions on coming up with an idea for a narrative topic. The documents were added through Google Docs. 

I chose to use this blogging software, Blogger, because I was the most familiar with it. I have experimented with the formatting and I have found it very easy to use. I also thing it would be easy for the students to learn to use through a few simple lessons. The Blogger site is also very helpful because if you don't know how to do something, there's a forum you can post questions to and someone will answer it. For example, I didn't know at first how to post a document because there was no link for documents in the editing box. I found out through reading the forum that I needed to upload my document to a site like Google Docs and attach the link in my post.

Here's the link to my blog:
W.O.W.--- Wonders of Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment